In terms of my planning, the first initial task that I completed was my Resource Audit – this post I decided I would create a music video and focused on the key equipment/ potential equipment I would need to create a successful music video. This was a productive task as it allowed me to understand the uses of different equipment and how I could later use this to my advantage. The second task I then moved onto was Initial Ideas. I found this task rather useful as it gave me the chance to jot down all of my initial thoughts into one document, giving me a much clearer understanding of what I wanted to complete in regards to the brief – I focused specifically on the artist, song, colours, location and clothing. This enabled me a much clearer envision of how I wanted my product to unfold.
Once I had finished outlining my primary decisions, it was then time to start making some decisions about the song I wanted to use for my video, the general ideas of what would be going on in the footage and putting my ideas out there so I would have something to refer back to in the future. The tasks I completed in order to start my ‘creation’ were:
For this part of the course a lot of different elements needed to be taken into account, such as the fact I did not have experience in using the equipment to film as I had never really had to do so. Below is a list of the different tasks I have completed in order to exemplify that I have gained all of the correct permission and ‘instructions’ for the format of my music video in order for my actors to know exactly where they needed to be and at what times (key planning):
Lastly, within my brief for my final products I have been asked to create a magazine advert for my music video/artists album and a digipak. In order to be able to complete this task to the best of my ability I had to plan to allow me to have a better envision of how I wanted these to look – in doing so I created completed these tasks:
Overall, to conclude, completing all of these planning tasks has been incredibly useful in allowing me to progress with regards to development my own ideas for my music video.
I have now completed all of the research posts essential in allowing my blog to be complete. I have managed to tackle all posts and all have been very productive in my research and I have evidently developed a much better understanding of the products I wish to create.
A key element I found interesting was the analysis of past student’s music videos. Looking at actual music videos that previous students have created themselves helped me develop a much better understanding of how to enable myself to achieve the highest marks possible – it also meant I was able to learn from the mistakes and praises of previous students allowing me to attempt to make my own music video look as professional as possible. Looking at the final versions of these students music videos allowed me to see the variety of genres, ideas and styles that I could later incorporate in my own products. I focused on completing tasks such as:
I think that out of all of the research posts that I’ve managed to complete, I found the analysis of digipaks the most useful. This is personally because I was unaware of the codes and conventions of typical digipaks – I had not seen many prior to research and was unaware of the purpose or what content to include. After researching I now believe I have a much better understanding and hopefully should be able to produce a successful product myself. For example looking at the different genres with regards to digipaks and how these varied allowed me to develop a better understanding. I also completed the following tasks:
It wasn’t just the analysis posts that I found helpful, I think that completing such variety of different posts has enabled me to see more of what I need to include and do in order to create a successful music video.
To conclude, I believe that completing all of these research tasks has allowed me to gain a much wider perspective of what I need to do for my final products – more specifically what I intend to include in my own.
I aimed to become comfortable with the functions of the video setting before I began to film for my actual music video, so this would make the duration of filming far quicker. Here I have composed a series of shots of different things, such as scenery and the main protagonist who will feature in my music video. The footage is shaky as it was only for testing – I consequently learnt from this how to prevent footage shaking.
I have created a call sheet looking at the locations, dates and times I will be shooting along with who will be there and what equipment I will use.
This post shows the basic personnel details for my music video production. This allows me to see who is accountable for what aspect of production throughout my music video. It is a basic account of the people involved in production and who is involved.
Today I got my actor release form signed by Alana Busby granting me permission to use the footage and her as an artist. I have also finalised my raw footage from the black box room and have uploaded this to my blog.
Here is the Raw Footage from the black box room specifically. I will upload more raw footage from other locations too.